The Intercultural Ambassadors are a group of students who are trained to facilitate diversity workshops for other Georgia State University students. The workshops cover a range of topics addressing issues that are relevant to all members of the GSU community.
“To assist in the accomplishment of the Intercultural Relations mission, Intercultural Ambassadors serve as diversity peer educators for the office of Intercultural Relations.It facilitates presentations and workshops that educate the Georgia State University community on various diversity topics and issues. To prepare for this peer education experience, it participates in an intensive training program. In addition, it serves as ambassadors for the office of Intercultural Relations and assist with the overall implementation of a comprehensive diversity education program. ”
Examples of Past Events:
“Heritage Months in America”– Intercultural Ambassadors facilitated a discussion regarding the significance and problems with having various heritage or history months throughout the year, such as Black History and Hispanic Heritage Months.
“Gender Equality through Fashion Expression”– The Ambassadors encouraged students to examine the gender through changing fashion trends for women and men over the last 100 years.
“The Collar of Class”– This event highlights the social class system in the U.S. through the job “collars” we wear (i.e., blue collar, pink collar, white collar, etc.).
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must be a student presently enrolled full-time at Georgia State University. The applicant must:
- Possess a commitment to and passion for diversity education at GSU.
- Hold a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Have a clean judicial record and in good standing with the Dean of Students.
- Hold a successful record of active participation in co-curricular activities.
- Show comfort in speaking in front of large and small groups.
- Have the ability to attend the training meetings.
- Be responsible, self-disciplined, and interested in social justice issues and facilitating workshops and presentations for the Georgia State University community.